Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 1 Wednesday 5 June, 2013, 51 Min, Total: 51 Min

Time 51 minutes   Total Time  51 minutes

This blog is tracking the construction of the Worthington Scroll Saw clock.  I am building this clock for a friend at work and will track the construction of this clock on this blog.

Before starting this post, the pattern for the clock was scanned into the computer in sections.  Adobe photoshop was used to piece the sections of the pattern together.  Reference (alignment) lines were added to the pattern so that when it was printed out on 8.5" x 11" paper, there would be a way to tape the sections together.

Today we are working on the first piece of the clock which is the back.  As shown by the first  photo, the pattern for the back was printed out in three different sections and then taped together.

The first step is to glue the pattern to the wood.  The pattern was sprayed with some glue before putting it on the wood.  Only the paper was sprayed with glue.  That way, the pattern can be removed after all the pieces are cut out.

The back section is sanded before the pattern is glued to it.  I don't know if this step is necessary, but that is something that I do.


Once the pattern has been glued, a hole needs to be drilled in each area that needs to be cut out with the scroll saw. These areas are referred to as internal cuts, since the cut cannot be reached from the edge of the wood. This is needed to be able to thread the scroll saw blade though the wood in the area that needs to be cut out.




After each area that requires an internal cut is drilled, you can start cutting out the internal sections.  


After a hole is drilled for each of the internal cuts, (sections cut out on the inside of the pattern) I sand the back side.  Drilling leaves splinters on the back which catch when using the scroll saw.  I quickly sand the back after it is drilled to smooth it out.

Here is a shot showing the area for access to the clock movement.  Also notice 4 different alignment marks that I have drawn on the pattern using Adobe photoshop.  These alignment marks were used when taping the different sections together to create the pattern that was glued to the wood.  The original plans are still in one piece.  I did not want to cut them up to build the clock.



Here is a shot showing progress when stopping this evening.  I know that not to much was done tonight, but I had a friend stop by.


Starting this clock today was the first time that I have used my scroll saw for 2 1/2 to 3 years.  When I get going on a hobby, I really work hard at it then I burn out.  I was working with the scroll saw in 2005 - 2009 and then burnt out.  It's 2013 and I really need to get going again.  I had promised a friend at work that I would make her this clock.  Well it is about time that I get with it and get it done.

I would like to keep track of the progress of the construction of the clock on this blog.  I don't know if anyone will read this blog, but if you do, post some comments and let me know if  you are reading.  I will try to keep up on the positing of the project as I work on the clock.

If you have read this far, you are probably wondering what the completed worthington scroll saw clock is going to look like....



The above photo is a shot of the Worthington clock from the www.wildwooddesigns.com website.  This will be the 4th Worthington clock that I have constructed.  It will be finished in a darker walnut color although I really like the lighter colors on the clock.


No comments:

Post a Comment